THE LOW CHOIR
From here, if the curtains allowed it, the interior of Santa Catalina's temple is observed, of a single ship, finished of building little before 1747 and, after its reconstruction, consecrated by last time December 21 of 1874.
The temple that was good to assist the religious occupations of the Cathedral in several opportunities and of San Agustín's temple, it shows in the altar a beautiful frontal of embossed silver. Both works were made in Sister's priorate Juana Rosa of Our Mrs. of Dolores and Rooms.
This is the Low Choir, where the nuns of black veil participated in the prayer of the Canonical (eves, complete, maitines and award) Hours and the smallest Hours as well as (it prevails, it arbitrates, sixth and nones) of the celebration of the Santa Mass.
At the moment Santa Catalina's nuns attend, from here, to the celebration eucarística that is made in the nearest altar to twice as much grate.
Grate that separates the temple of the Choir, opening up shortly twice as much through kind of a cratícula, the nuns receive the sacrament of the Sacrament.
In the temple to the left side, looking to the altar, surrounded of a small grill, located in front of the second door that is appreciated from the Low Choir, he/she meets an altar with the Devout Sister's image Ana of the Ángel Monteagudo. It was sculpted by Spanish Rafael García Fifth.
Under this image they are the Devout person's remains, the same ones that were among the grills that separate the Low Choir of the temple up to January of 1985, 22.
This Choir, with their roof trapecial or in ochave, similar to the roofs of mojinete of Tacna and Moquegua, he/she has been that is to say almost witness of the democratic election of the prioresses that you/they directed the monastery from 1586, four centuries before the women arequipeñas of the external world can intervene in the election of their authorities.
The walls of this Choir, until approximately half-filled of the XIX century, they were decorated, even with bread of gold. A delicate work of cleaning could convert to this atmosphere as one of the best exponents in the mestizo decoration of the whole environment of the viceroyalty of Peru.
Although one doesn't know the exact reason for which covered the decoration of bread of gold, you can suppose that they fit two possibilities:
The first: The walls like consequence of an aseptic measure would have been whitewashed against some of the pests that you/they affected to the city.
The second possibility: They would have covered the decorations like consequence of a decision linked to the vote of the nuns' poverty.
As much the walls as the underground of this choir were used, in the past, as sepulchre areas. This way, for example, in 1898, being a prioress the mother Sister Juana Rosa of Our Mrs. of Dolores and Rooms, he/she met a small drawer with Sister's remains Juana of San José Aryans. The discovery took place in moments in that it was decorated or it repaired the Choir.
The remains located to the right side of the Low Choir, were in a cloth piece and when returning them to place them in the same place, a stone of Berenguel was embedded that today it is not appreciated.
A badge that is distinguished to the inferior side of the second square, the one that represents San Antonio, remembers that to that area Sister's bones were transferred Juana of San José Aryans in 1729.
Two stages and two architectural structures are appreciated in the Low Choir. The first correspond to the roof trapecial that shows engraving in relief Trinitarian Cruz.
The trinitarian only bishop that has had the diocese, Juan of Almoguera who contributed for this construction was in fact.
The second structure corresponds to a later amplification and its cover is of vault.
In that area, built later on, he/she is a lectern of four faces, surrounded of a choir seat.
The walls are decorated with squares of a Via Crucis of only 13 Stations.
Source: http://monasteriodesantacatalina.blogspot.com/2008/05/visita - guide-al-monastery-of-saint.html
Page created web March 30 of the one 2005.
© Copyright 2005 Gualberto Valderrama C.