Personalized search


CITY DE AREQUIPA


Arequipa is located to 1,000 km. to the south of Lima, it is the capital city of the Department or Region Arequipa. It is an it locates distant interandino of the coast of Pacific in about seventy kilometers. Arequipa has a height of 2,363 m.s.n.m. Located in the heart of the south of Peru it has an approximate population that surpasses the million of inhabitants.

Arequipa has one of the best climates in Peru, highlighting its blue limpid sky. Their temperature average is of 21° C and during the day the air is dry and hot, in the winter nights, between June and July the temperature descends until 8 and 3° C.

Lima for the south with Moquegua, for the east with Cusco, for the southeast with Puno, for the northeast with Apurimac, for the North with Ayacucho and for the northwest with Ica.

Arequipa is also known as "The City Blanca" and it is flanked by its guardian volcanos, unmistakable Misti and the colossuses Chachani and Picchu Picchu.



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 01
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 02
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 03
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 04
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 05
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 06
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 07
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 08
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 09
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 10
CITY DE AREQUIPA



CIUDAD DE AREQUIPA 11
CITY DE AREQUIPA



The volcano Misti is sleeping, but Arequipa wakes up every morning in constant boil. And although in their summit they see each other regularly some small clouds of fume, not for that reason the arequipeños - proud as few of their earth - they stop to invite the tourist to travel their white streets and their traditional squares. The elegant city of Arequipa owes the characteristic color of its houses and other constructions to the ashlar stone, of volcanic origin, with which you/they are made.

Been founded as Beautiful Villa of Our Mrs. of Asunta, he/she was granted the city hierarchy in 1541. Arequipa has also been, throughout its history, illustrious men's of the politics cradle and the Peruvian culture. Today, the visitor finds in her neo-Renaissance spectacular Cathedral, in Santa Catalina's impressive monastery and in her large houses and museums, reasons more than enough to visit.

Main Attractiveness:

Square of Weapons of the city of Arequipa
Surrounded by the Church Cathedral and diverse portals, the Square of Weapons presents a beautiful source of brass of three plates crowned with the figure of a soldier of the XVI century. To this character he/she is called "Tuturutu" that was the one in charge of warning of any novel event according to the history. Around the square three portals can be appreciated made with granite and with brick vaults and lime: the Portal of the Town council (Portal of the Municipality), the Portal of the Delights (Portal of San Agustín) and the Portal of the Rejoicing (Portal of Flores).

Cathedral of the city of Arequipa
Square of Weapons. Tel: (054) 23-2635 / 40-5393. Visits: L-S 7:00-11:30 and 17:00-19:30; D 7:00- 13:00 and 17:00-19:00. It is considered as one of the first religious monuments of the XVII century in the city. It was built in ashlar (stone of volcanic origin), with brick vaults; it was destroyed by a fire in 1844 and reconstructed in 1868 by the architect arequipeño Lucas Poblete. It is from style neoclassicist and the revenues to the temple they are located in the lateral ships. It was difficultly hit by the earthquake of the year 2001, the one that affected their towers seriously.

Church and Complex of the Company
Intersection of the streets General Morán and Álvarez Thomas, Square of Weapons of the city of Arequipa. Visits: L-D 09:00 - 11:00 and 15:00 - 18:00 this group is integrated by diverse buildings lifted by the Jesuits as much for religious ends as for housing, and it forms a representative monument of the religious architecture characteristic of the XVII century (1660). Amid the group the temple stands out. The Church of the Company was designed in 1573 by Gaspar Báez and it was destroyed by an earthquake in 1584. The current structure dates of 1650. It possesses 66 canvases of the school cusqueña approximately, of artists like Bernardo Bitti and Diego of the Bridge.

Complex and Church of San Francisco
Street Zela cdra. 1 s/n. Tel: (054) 22-3048. Church: Visits: L-S 7:00-9:00 and 17:00-20:00; D 7:00-12:00 and 17:00-20:00. Convent: You visit L-S 9:00-12:30 and 15:00-17:00.
The complex understands the Franciscan church, the convent and a smaller well-known temple as of the Third Order In the church highlight the pulpit Baroque decoration with shortened relief and the frontal of silver of the biggest altar. Also, he/she has been integrated to the group a short denominated passage San Francisco's Manguillo that separated the church of what was the first School of Educandas and later on the jail of women; today it has been transformed into a commercial center of craft and it is known as I "Found The Iron."

Monastery of Sacred Catalina
Sacred Catalina Remain Silent 301. Visits: L-D 9:00-16:00.
Built to house the daughters of the most distinguished families in the city with religious vocation, the monastery was inaugurated October of 1580, 2 under the invocation of Santa Catalina of Siena, as a center of absolute closing, and he/she stayed this way up to August 15 of 1970.

It occupies an approximate area of 20 thousand square meters and their distribution is similar to that of the first neighborhoods of Arequipa. It presents very diverse rooms architecturally. One of the atmospheres has been conditioned as pinacoteca to exhibit canvases of the schools cusqueña, quiteña and it influences arequipeña. It also has other rooms or sectors to visit as the Cloister of the Goal, the Before Columbus Museum, San Francisco's Cloister, etc.

Convent of Recoleta
Jr. Recoleta 117. Tel: (054) 27-0966. Visits: L-S 9:00-12:00 and 15:00-17:00.
E-mail: convent-the-recoleta@terra.com.pe
Franciscan convent been founded in 1648, opened up to the public newly in 1978. It presents different styles that go from the románico to the neo-Gothic one, due to their diverse reconstructions (the last date of 1940). It has four cloisters and eleven atmospheres, besides two rooms of before Columbus art, two rooms dedicated to the amazonía and a room of religious art. It possesses, also, a pinacoteca with canvases of the school cusqueña and arequipeña and a valuable library that it covers more than 20 thousand volumes and incunabular.

Church and Convent of Sacred Domingo
Intersection of the streets Saint Domingo and Rivero. Tel. (054) 21-3511.
Visits: L-S 7:00-12:00 and 15:00-19:30; D 5:45-13:00 and 18:30-19:45.
Architecturally, they characterize to this church the tower of the steeple, their atrium with pedestal esquinado and their impeccable arch under the choir. In the interior imagery pieces and canvases can be appreciated with sacred reasons. Of equal it forms, their lateral cover is known to be the oldest in Arequipa. The cloister bigger than the convent was built around 1734.

He/she marries of the Moral one
Remain Silent Moral 318, Fence. Visits: L-S 9:00-17:00 and traded 9:00-13:00.
Large house of the XVIII century, one of the architectural oldest and important monuments in the Baroque constitutes in Arequipa. The house owes its name to an old tree of Moors that grows in its main patio. It possesses furniture of the colonial and republican time. The cover in ashlar constitutes a work of art in which carefully carved figures are appreciated. For example, a crown on a shield is sustained by two angels, in turn, the shield is composed of a castle, a bird, a puma and two crossed keys. Also it highlights a living room with "very old" maps of America of the XVI century.

Neighborhood of San Lázaro
To 5 blocks of the Square of Weapons of the city of Arequipa.
This neighborhood of back streets, passages narrow, small squares and wide houses are the most representative area in old Arequipa. In this place the priests dominicos settled down in 1538, building a hermitage for the evangelism of the native ones of this place and to prepare the land to found a Spanish new city. A small bridge that unites the today Church of San Lázaro and its plazuela with the rest of the neighborhood highlights.

Goyeneche Marries
Street the Merced 201. Tel: (054) 21-2251. Visits: L-V 9:15-15:00.
Ashlar large house of half-filled of the XVI, entirely decorated century respecting the colonial style. Canvases of the school cusqueña and sculptures of the school grenadine of the XVII century are conserved. It owes their name to don Juan of Goyeneche and Aguerreverre who he/she acquired it in 1782. At the moment it is the headquarters of the Central Bank of Reservation in Arequipa.

Church San Agustín
Intersection of the streets San Agustín and Bolívar. Tel: (054) 22-0066. Visits: L-S 8:00-12:00 and 17:00-19:00; D 8:00-13:00 and 17:00-19:00.
Built in 1575, it presents a facade that dates of the first half of the XVIII century and one of the best of their time is considered. Architecturally it belongs to the mestizo Baroque with prevalence of the ashlar in their construction. Inside the temple they highlight the dome, the neoclassical altars and especially the biggest altar, for their careful one carved and their applications in bread of gold.

Church Merced
Intersection of the streets Merced and Tristán. Tel: (054) 21-3233.
Visits: L-V 8:00-13:00 and 16:00-19:00 and S 8:00 - 12:00.
Their construction began in 1551 and you concluded in 1607. It possesses a lateral attractive cover in which highlights the image of the Virgin of Mercedes accompanied by two sacred mercedarios. In their interior important works of art like the "Appearance are conserved from the Virgin to San Pedro Nolasco", in the sacristy, and a series of relating squares to the Virgin from Merced, in the room to surrender. As much the church as the convent, the second built in the city, they have been built using ashlar arequipeño. The cloister conserves a library that dates of the viceregal time.

Tristán of the Well marries
San Francisco Remain Silent 108. Tel: (054) 21-2209.
Visits: L-V 9:15-12:45 and 16:00-18:00 and S 9:30-12:30.
Colonial traditional large house whose facade exhibits carved of style mestizo Baroque; besides possessing interior wide and characteristic patios. It was built in 1738 for general Domingo Tristán of the Well. At the moment it is property of the Continental Bank.

Archaeological Museum of San Agustín's University
Intersection of the streets Álvarez Thomas and Old Palacio. Tel: (054) 28-8881.
Visits: L-V 8:15-16:15.
It exhibits a varied collection that understands lithic objects, bony remains of human sacrifices, ceramios of the cultures Nasca, Tiahuanaco, Huari and Inca, and objects of gold and silver of the Inca and colonial times.

Museum of Archaeology of the Catholic University of Sacred María from Arequipa
Green Street Cruz 303. Tel: (054) 95-9636. Visits: L-V 9:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00
The museum exposes around 1000 objects (ceramic, textile, funeral bales, lithic, wooden objects and of metal) of the cultural different groups developed in the department, from the year 12.000 a.C. until the colony: Nasca, Tiahuanaco, Wari, Churajón, Acarí, Aruni and Inca, besides transitional and colonial material.

Museum Andean Sanctuaries of Sacred María's Catholic University
Street the Merced 110, Fence. Tel: (054) 21-5013. Visits: L-S 9:00-18:00; D 9:00-15:00.
*The mummy Juanita won't be in exhibition because she will enter to a period of conservacón until ends of April of 2006.
It exhibits to the Lady of Ampato, a girl's of 12 Inca mummy or 14 years, found in the summit of the volcano Ampato for the andinista Miguel Zárate, the archaeologist José Chávez and the anthropologist Johan Reinhard, the 8 of September of 1995. According to the specialists, it is very probable that the girl whose remains were found frozen he/she has died from a blow in the temple with a macana of granite of five tips. Seemingly it would have been an offering to Apu Ampato and their antiquity goes back to about 500 years.

Urbanization Cheerful Forest
Considered "the garden of the city" for their wide parks and immense trees that harmonize with the modern houses of the area. In Forest he/she is Happy it has erected a monument in honor to Juan Pablo Vizcardo and Guzmán, precursor of the independence. It also highlights Santa Catalina's Mill, entirely restored, located in the pier of the referred urbanization.

Mirador of Yanahuara
To 2 km of downtown of Arequipa (8 minutes in car).
It was built in the XIX century and it is conformed by a series of ashlar arches in those that the words of illustrious arequipeños have been recorded. The place has a privileged view of the city and of the volcano Misti.

Town of Sabandía
To 8 km to the south of the city of Arequipa (20 minutes in car).
Wide andenerías and three volcanos, Misti, Chachani and Pichu Pichu, gives mark to the landscape that surrounds this traditional town. Some of the houses still conserve characteristic of the viceregal pattern or of the republican of the XIX century. A recess complex has been built with two pools that the cold waters of the springs that surround the area take advantage.

Mill of Sabandía
Located in the town of Sabandía.
Built in 1785, it represents the typical architecture of the region, in which the use of the ashlar prevailed. They are characteristic their solid buttresses and rustic balconies. Also, the techniques can be appreciated used to process the wheat using the stone mills.

Mansion of the Founder
To 9 km of the city of Arequipa (15 minutes in car).
Built in ashlar on the edge of a cliff, it is one of the large houses or more important and more traditional mansions of the region. As they count, Garcí Manuel of Carbajal, founder from Arequipa, ordered it to build for his son. Later, in 1785, don Juan Crisóstomo of Goyeneche and Aguerreverre were their proprietor and it remodeled it giving him/her the elegant characteristics that today is appreciated. The main entrance is compound for a vestibule of arched roof, continued by a main wide patio on which the windows and doors of the rooms open up.

District of Cayma
To 3 km to the south of the city of Arequipa (8 minutes in car).
The town of Cayma is known as the "Balcony of Arequipa" by its privileged location that allows to sight the whole city. Their central square houses San Miguel's Archangel temple, built in 1730 and considered an architectural jewel for its mestizo facade. In the house annexed cural Bolívar's" "Dining room is conserved where, as it is counted, the Liberator ate lunch during his demurrage in the town.

Volcano Misti
To 20 km to the northeast of the city of Arequipa, you arrives until the skirts of the volcano (1 hour in van 4x4).
Misti, with its 5825 msnm, is the guardian image of the city. From the high of their summit it is possible to sight the city of Arequipa, the valley of the river Chili and the volcanos Chachani and Pichu Pichu.

Thermal Bathrooms of Yura
To 27 km to the north of the city of Arequipa (45 minutes in bus).
Thermal puddles located in the skirts of the volcano Chachani, to 2575 msnm. They are known by the therapeutic properties of their waters whose temperature fluctuates between 23° and 28°C. Among the years 1810 and 1831, don José Walnut and Noguerol built the puddles that stay until the present time.

Caves of Sumbay - Art rupestre
To 97 km to the north of the city of Arequipa for the highway to Caylloma (1 hour 45 minutes in bus).
Located inside the limits of Salinas' National Reservation and Watery Blanca, they house more than 500 figures of art rupestre. This representations, possibly made by the first residents of the area, have an antiquity from 6000 to 8000 years approximately.

Snowed Chachani
To 55 km to the north of the city of Arequipa (2 hours in van 4 x 4). You arrives until the camp it bases and from this point a walk of 6 hours aprox begins. until lacumbre.
Considered one of the mountains of more difficult ascent in Peru, this snowy one reaches more than 6075 msnm. It is also an inactive volcano but the lava is even visible and it presents small ravines and morrenas. To be ascended they need two days and one night.

District of Yarabamba
To 21 km to the south of the city of Arequipa (35 minutes in car).
The name of the district comes from two Quechua voices: "yaro" or "yara", a bush characteristic of the area, and "bamba" that it means "pampas." In the town it can visit one another Arenas' mansion and I Paint and Rivera's colonial house and Echevarría.

District of Quequeña
To 25 km to the southeast of the city of Arequipa (40 minutes in car).
This area has been inhabited by lupacas, aymaras, Quechua, collaguas, puquinas and, by the middle of the XV century, for the Inca. The name of this town would come from the voice puquina "quequeña" that means rocky "place and solid."
The main places of interest are the Boulevard of the Sallows, the Boulevard of the Deads and the Gulch of Guanaqueros; it also has a recently restored church.

District of Chiguata
To 30 km to the east of the city of Arequipa (45 minutes in car), in the skirts of the volcano Pichu-Pichu.
Chiguata was founded January 22 1540 by the agent Diego Hernández. The name of this town comes from the voices Quechua "chiri" that it means cold, and "padding" that means year (the whole cold year). Among the main attractiveness that can visit one another the temple of the Sacred Spirit and the archaeological centers of Tambo of León and Infiernillos they find.

District of Tiabaya
To 10 km of the city of Arequipa (15 minutes in car).
Fence highly agricultural, it is believed that they inhabited it ethnoses like the kuntis of Cabin, the yanahuaras and the chumbivilcas. November 8 1870 were granted the "city" title and it is famous for their picanterías.

District of Characato
To 10 km of the city of Arequipa (15 minutes in car).
Town with a lot of vegetation and abundant water, ideal for the agriculture. Very close to the town an eye of water called "Eye of the Miracle" is located. It possesses a colonial beautiful church. Formerly, the residents of that area went to work to the saltpeter deposits of the south, today in territory of Chile, and when people of the place asked them from where they were, they responded: "of Characato, Mister"; of there the appellative that you/they are denominated "characatos" to all the arequipeños.

He/she Reserves National of Salinas and Watery Blanca
To 35 km aprox. to the northwest of the city of Arequipa (1 hour 30 minutes in bus).
Their extension is of almost 367 thousand hectares, embracing territory of the counties of Arequipa and Caylloma (Region Arequipa) and General Sánchez Hill (Region Moquegua) was created with the purpose of conserving important flora associations and fauna, to protect natural atmospheres that were in destruction process and deterioration, as well as to protect to the mediating vicuña a repoblamiento program. The reservation is located between the 2800 and 6050 msnm, and inside this they are the volcanos Misti (5825 msnm), Chachani (6075 msnm) and Pichu Pichu (5664 msnm).
Among the most representative species in the reservation they highlight the vizcacha, the fox, the condor and the Andean flamenco or parihuana. The scientists have determined the existence of 169 animal species, 24 of those which are mammals (included two domestic forms of South American camélidos), 138 species of birds (among those that highlight ducks plungers, eagles and kestrels), 3 of reptiles, 4 of amphibians and 3 of fish. Salinas' lagoon is considered a privileged place to observe to the parihuanas in the migration time.

Distances from the city of Arequipa:
- Camaná (County of Camaná) 173 km / 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Caravelí (County of Caravelí) 382 km / 7 hours.
- Aplao (County of Castile) 178 km / 3 hours.
- Chivay (County of Caylloma) 162 km / 3 hours and 45 minutes.
- Chuquibamba (County of Condesuyos) 234 km / 5 hours.
- Mollendo (County of Islay) 113 km / 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Cotahuasi (County of The Union) 379 km / 12 hours.

Source: PROMPERU



TO GO TO IT PAGINATES IT PREVIOUSTO GO TO THE BEGINNING PAGINATESTO GO TO IT PAGINATES IT FOLLOWING


Page created web March 30 of the one 2005.
© Copyright 2005 Gualberto Valderrama C.