Personalized search


THE COUNTRY PROPERTY DE CHIQUITOY


By Carlos Alberto Vega Cárdenas.

The country property Chiquitoy is located in the left margin of the fertile valley of Chicama, waters below, to a league of distance of the town of Santiago of Cao.

The present article is a quite tight synthesis of the study carried out by the author to this old cane country property. Treasury trujillana that has always stayed in hands of Peruvians and that it conserves until the present their it magnifies house country property, the one that in 1868 it impressed the Italian sage so much Antonio Raimondi who in their work "Peru" mentions, "The country property of Chiquitoy is remarkable for its beautiful one he/she marries luxuriously furnished."

Chiquitoy went until the century XVI "town of Indians", because the few Indians that were being in the partiality of Chiquitoy finished reduced to the town of Santiago of Cao; even in the first decades of the XVII century we find as a quite outstanding character in the valley from Chicama to the main Cacique of the town of Chiquitoy Don Juan PayPaynamo.

The country property of Chiquitoy settled down in the lands of the missing persons prehispanic towns of Chictoy, Simap, Sacop, Llamip and Chamalca, watered with waters of the canals: Sacop the high one, The puquio of Santiago of Cao or canal of I Put Chongo, Colonique, Pascana and Chamalca.

In 1654 Dña. María of Valverde was the landlady of the country property of Chiquitoy inheriting him/her her son D. Valentine Of the Cliff and Valverde who for the year 1689 were owner of the Treasury Trapiche, "Sacred noted Domingo of Chiquitoy." Don. Valentine was Officer bigger than the Saint Occupation of the Inquisition of Trujillo's city, and ordinary mayor of her and his jurisdiction for his Majesty. In August of that year, the farmer of Chiquitoy hired 750 mules to drive his sugar to the city of Lima. The title of the granted document and it leaves of their illustrative content it is like it continues:

Freightment, D. Ignacio of Moncada and Galindo with D. Valentine of the Cliff and Valverde seven hundred and fifty mules "The captain D. Ignacio of Moncada and Galindo, granted that toward freightment and obligation of giving the captain D. Valentine of the Cliff and Valverde, 750 load mules to take them loaded with sugar, from their country property of Chiquitoy for Reyes' city, taking each mule thirteen enraptures for load and of weighing more the excess must be paid and to price each mule of 10 pesos that you/they mount 7,500 pesos, in this way: the 300 that he/she would surrender this year, from the end of the month of September of this year until that of 90, and the 450 mules for next year, from September until that of 91; and to bill of the statements 7,500 admit to have received from the this captain Don. Valentine of the Cliff and Valverde 5,000 of counted."

The residents of Santiago of Cao who offered their arrieraje services to take "the fruits from the valley to the city of Lima and other places were for their it expended", existing for then, more than 2,000 mules in this sector of the valley of Chicama.

To the death of D. Valentine of the Cliff and Valverde, inherited the country property their son D. Valentine of the Cliff and Montejo who he/she sold it to their son D. Valentine of the Cliff and Alvarado that he/she had in the year of 1763: 337 fanegadas of lands, "143 black, and quarter notes between big and small", producing 7,000 enraptures from sugar to the year and 400 you enrapture of oil elaborated with the crop of their extensive olive grove.

The then owner of the Treasury was son of D. Valentine of the Cliff and Montejo and of he Gives. Isabel of Alvarado. He/she studied in the University of San Marcos from Lima the career of Laws and he/she obtained doctor's grade in both rights, what facilitated him/her to be admitted as lawyer in the high tribunal. In Trujillo it was Perpetual Regidor of the Town council and Ordinary Alcalde. He/she married in Lima with he/she Gives. Rosa María of Oyague and Sarmiento of Sotomayor, of the family of Portillo's Counts. They had for only heiress to he/she Gives. Josefa of the Cliff and Oyague, owner of the country properties "Chiquitoy" and "Cartavio" who single died. He/she gives. Josefa named for executor and heir from her goods to Dr. José Mercedes Vigo, Arcediano of the Santa Church Cathedral. Their remains were buried in the church of the port of Our Mrs. of Socorro of Huanchaco April 06 of 1857.

In May of 1857 the eminent lambayecano of the independence, D. Juan Manuel Iturregui and Aguilarte bought the country property Chiquitoy paying for her the sum of 50,000 pesos; later on purchase the neighboring country property of "The Nuns", accumulating it to that of Chiquitoy, dedicating them to the cultivation of cane of sugar. Likewise reedifica the old house country property and chapel, Imposing house that until the present time it is conserved entirely as the most beautiful sample in rural architecture of Trujillo's valleys. General Iturregui was married with the lady trujillana Manuela Gonzáles Pinillos and they had as only son to Juan Manuel Claudio Iturregui Gonzáles married in 1891 Dña. Susana of Orbegoso and Gonzáles. In 1842 General Juan Manuel Iturregui had built its splendid mansion in Trujillo's city of the one which Dr. Mateo Peace Soldán in 1862, when describing the city he/she refers: "The square is squared, among the particular buildings we should not pass in silence the house of General Iturregui that is one of the best of everything South. America, is a true palace." Palacio of Iturregui is at the moment it gives it of Trujillo's Central Club. The year of 1871 the eminent wealthy lambayecano died.

In 1872 the widow of Iturregui gave in lease the Treasury Chiquitoy to the siblings Don. Andrés and Don. Rafael Larco Bruno who you/they built the sugar factory and a still of alcohol. In 1901 he/she took the reins of the sugar Negotiation "Chiquitoy" Don. Victor Larco Herrera, building the strong line that united their genius with the port of Huanchaco, to which endowed of a jetty for the shipment of their sugars. As a consequence of the strike of 1912 the factory of Chiquitoy was closed.

In 1916 Dña. Susana of Orbegoso widow of Iturregui leased the country property to her brother Don. Luís José of Orbegoso and Gonzáles who it founded the Agricultural Negotiation Chiquitoy with the help of their bigger two children, enlarging the country property, and increasing their reedbeds to more than 2,000 hectares. Don Luís José was farmer of Sintuco, Moncada, Sonolipe, Ongollape and of the extensive country property Araqueda in the county of Cajabamba.

In 1959 to the death of Dña. Susana of Orbegoso, inherits the country property her daughter Dña. Susana Iturregui and Orbegoso Countess of Potocki who it maintained the property until their expropriation for the Law of Agrarian Reformation. Today again the country property is private property of the Agrarian Company Chiquitoy S.A.



CHIQUITOY 01
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 02
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 03
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 04
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 05
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 06
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 07
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 08
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 09
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 10
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 11
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 12
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 13
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 14
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 15
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 16
CHIQUITOY



CHIQUITOY 17
CHIQUITOY



TO GO TO IT PAGINATES IT PREVIOUSTO GO TO THE BEGINNING OF IT PAGINATES ITTO GO TO THE FOLLOWING ONE PAGINATES


Page created web March 30 of the one 2005.
© Copyright 2005 Gualberto Valderrama C.